The Hancock Place School District is located in South St. Louis County. Its boundaries generally are: River Des Peres on the North, the Mississippi River on the East, Jefferson Barracks on the South, and Interstate Highway 55 on the West.
Historically, Hancock Place is one of the oldest of the St. Louis County Districts and one of the first districts to be rated “AAA” by the Missouri State Department of Education. This is a distinction which the district has maintained to the present. Hancock Place High School is also accredited by the North Central Association.
The district is named for Union General Winfield Scott Hancock, a hero of the Civil War. General Hancock made his home in Lemay and at one time was a candidate for the office of President of the United States. He lost the election to James A. Garfield by a very narrow margin of the popular vote.
The beginning of the present Hancock District was as a one room “country” school located on Lemay Ferry Road. A succession of elementary schools in various locations followed until the first four year high school was opened in the 1920′s. The first graduating class in 1923 consisted of one student. The district enrollment at that time was around 700 students in grades 1 through 12. The district reached its highest enrollment in 1969 with a total of 2624 students. The enrollment since that time has steadily declined to the present total of approximately 1600 students.
Until 1988, the district consisted of 3 elementary schools and one Jr-Sr High School. These schools were grouped into three attendance centers. Elementary School Number One was located at Gentry Avenue near Hoffmeister and Broadway. This center served grades K through 7 and also had the Pre-School Program and the Central Elementary Library. Elementary School Number Two was located on South Grand near the intersection of Bayless Avenue and Lemay Ferry Road. This location served grades K through 7. Elementary School Number Three was located along with the Junior-Senior High School and the Central Administration Office in a complex on West Ripa Avenue between South Broadway and Telegraph Road. This elementary school also served grades K through 7. In 1988, the Lemay community united to pass a tax levy to build a new elementary complex to replace the existing elementary buildings. This facility was built on the ground which had formerly been known as Mount St. Rose Hospital or St. Mary on the Mount at 9101 South Broadway. This facility, which was renovated in 2010, houses grades K through 5.
The district provides a Pre-School program which has been very successful in pin-pointing potential problems in youngsters prior to entrance into Kindergarten. Those children may then be assisted in overcoming some of their problems thus making entrance into a regular school program more successful. A newly renovated, state-of-the-art Early Childhood facility was opened in November 2009 on the site of the old School One building on Gentry.
The district has an award winning Remedial Reading Program for those students who experience reading difficulties that might interfere with the regular reading classes at grade level. This program consists of an Extended Day Kindergarten program as well as daily classes in grades 1 through 5.
The district’s Gifted Program is available to children who meet the requirements for this enrichment program. This program is available for children in grades 2 through 12.
The regular elementary program at Hancock Place stresses mastery of reading, writing, arithmetic, and social studies as essential building blocks of education. Arts and Science are also carefully covered as the students progress from kindergarten through the sixth grade. Students visit the elementary library on a regular basis for the purpose of learning to use the library facility as well as for research. Elementary students also have regularly scheduled classes in Art, Music, and Physical Education. The Special District maintains several classrooms in the district to serve any student with physical handicaps or learning disorders.
In October, 1996 a newly constructed middle school was opened at 243 W. Ripa. This new facility houses grades 6 – 8. We are very proud of our new school which includes a modern computer lab, science lab, band room and classrooms.
The Senior high program is considered excellent. Its unbroken string of “AAA” ratings by the Missouri Department of Education and its acceptance by the North Central Association are evidence of the overall quality of the educational program. The classes are relatively small which means that all of the students become known to the faculty. This allows the teachers to participate in a very personal manner in the educational progress of each student.
The staff at Hancock Place is made up of mostly veteran teachers, many of whom have been with the district for a number of years. The teacher turn over in the district is very small. The educational preparation and teaching ability of the staff is excellent.
Students with an interest in attending college after high school are encouraged to follow a program that will prepare them for successful entry into college. Those students who wish to enter the job market following high school may choose one of the vocational oriented programs which are available. Hancock Place has long enjoyed a reputation among area businesses for the excellence of the training given in the Business Department and the Industrial Arts Department.
Varsity sports are available in the high school for those students interested in these activities. There are also several social and service clubs available as after school activities.
For any additional information concerning the Hancock Place School District, please contact the district administration office at 314-544-1300.
1926 1935 2006